Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Fight your own Fake Battles.

After my last post, I wanted to re-commit myself to shorter blog posts and also to avoiding politics unless I can laugh at it. I mean, let's be realistic, I can't stay away from politics, it's physically impossible for my brain to ignore it. But in the past week, I'm pretty sure I offended half of my ward (not with the post, but with other Facebook debates), and I found out that people know me as someone who gets heated up about politics simply to pass time. And as I alluded to in the last post, I'm so sick of politics, so I'm not going to rack my brain with it anymore (that's probably a lie, too).

People who read this think that I am a negative person. I'm really not though. I'm actually very positive. I created this blog as a way to complain because I don't complain in real life. Also, have you ever read a positive, happy blog? Boooring. You know what I'm talking about: "My life is so great because I am married to the most perfect human being ever and we have gorgeous, well behaved children who get straight A's and wrote full symphonies at age 9, blah blah blah" boring. Let's face it, negativity in blogs is funnier. I also started this blog because all the negative feelings I bottle up during my day keep me up at night and this is a good outlet. For example, considering how mad I was last week at the passage of the healthcare bill, I slept very well on that Sunday night because of that blog post. I actually slept better that Sunday than I did on Tuesday, the day the bill was signed into law. So, proof that this is healthy for me.

Anyway, I'm getting lost in tangents. I want to write shorter blogs about strange things that I experience or think about. More like a stand up routine, or like The Soup (show on E! that makes fun of television shows. If you don't watch it, do. It's hilarious) But you'll find out that I'm a little slow in talking about things as I see them, which leads to what I wanted to talk about today.

In November of last year, Playboy Magazine featured nude drawings of Marge Simpson. I personally have nothing to say one way or the other about it, but a certain Christian activist group did. I tried to find the original article that I had read months ago, but after searching tirelessly (2 minutes) for it, I gave up. Never fear, I remember the important things. This Christian group was in a tiff because Playboy slandered the image of a housewife, mother of 3. I laughed pretty hard when I read this. First of all, I don't know if Marge Simpson is the perfect model of a Christian mother anyway, so get over it. Also, as a fellow Christian, I find it much more awful that 18 year old girls are walking out of high school, skipping college and heading right into the Playboy mansion, where they take off their clothes and have their picture taken for millions of creepy men to look at for millions of dollars, and then are sleeping with an 84-year-old millionaire who will just replace them in a year or so anyway. But, that doesn't bother this particular activist group. Apparently, young women are allowed to offer nothing but smut to society, but when a FICTIONAL, cartoon mother of three appears nude in a magazine we have to put our foot down. I don't condone it, but seriously, maybe you could use that energy to fight for something that is, I don't know, real.

I almost forgot my disclaimers. You know, all of my blogs have them. I think that it's good for Christians to stand up for what they think is right, but I mean, c'mon. I appreciate your concern, but you need to adjust your aim a little. You have to use some common sense, and use love, not hate, man (groovy). And secondly, I apologize for saying that Marge is not a model of a good Christian mother (even though I think it's true). I love the Simpsons!

2 comments:

  1. You know, you don't even know if she agreed to it. They might have drawn her without her consent. Poor Bart.

    ReplyDelete