Saturday, May 30, 2009

Side note

In the previous blog that I wrote earlier today, I closed with the statement: "I have to go watch the Lakers lose." I just had to write again because, dangit, the Lakers won! And they didn't just win a game, they completely eliminated the Nuggets! I am so upset, because I think I jinxed them.

I am not generally a superstitious person, but when it comes to basketball games, I have several "codes of conduct". As an example, my favorite team is the San Antonio Spurs. When they have a game on the road, I wear Tim Duncan's jersey under my shirt all day long. During the game, I take off my top shirt to reveal the jersey. I wear it until the other team takes the lead in the game, then I take it off. I won't put it back on again until the Spurs have regained the lead. That is just one example of my many many superstitions when it comes to the Spurs.

I had a ritual for this latest series from the Lakers and the Nuggets. Whenever Chris "Birdman" Anderson was in the game, I had to put on my red, white, and blue headband. I have to take it off during commercials, and also take it off whenever the Birdman is on the bench.

So, you may ask me if I really think that these little rituals work. I would say, no, I don't really think that me doing these things is going to sway the game one way or the other. However, a very curious thing happened in the last two games between the Lakers and Nuggets. On Wednesday, I wasn't able to watch the game due to other obligations, so I was unable to perform my Birdman headband ritual. I watched the re-broadcast later that night, and the Nuggets lost. Tonight, I was unable to watch the game again, and again unable to do the headband thing. And they were eliminated tonight! I think there is more truth to these rituals than all of you give me credit for! I have to say too, that it's a big step for me to admit these weird things about me to all of you. The last game the Nuggets won (on Monday), we watched with a bunch of friends, and I really felt like an idiot with my headband thing. But, I had to do it, and what do you know? They won! So now, I have to figure out what my ritual is going to be for whoever plays the Lakers in the finals, and stick to it, because I can't stand to see an egotistical Kobe Bryant win it all! Let's go Lebron!

P.S. If you haven't read my apartment living blog yet, (since I posted two blogs in one day . . . I know, what's gotten into me?) Read it! And if you don't believe me about my upstairs neighbors moving their furniture during weird hours, let me inform you right now: It is about one in the morning, and they are moving furniture. I can't wait until I have my own house.

4 comments:

  1. That was a saaaad game. Followed by a pathetic showing by the Cavs. *sigh*. By the way, I'm posting a comment so you can quit your griping on Facebook. And now I expect you to go comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and the mental picture of you wearing your headband with all your friends around makes me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Headband...you wear a headband? Hahahahahahahahaa...now that is a picture I would like to see!

    ReplyDelete